PKWA Family & Divorce Lawyers
DIVORCE LAWYERS IN SINGAPORE
PKWA LAW is a leading family law firm in Singapore.
PKWA Divorce Lawyers are ranked by the Strait Times in its inaugural list of “Singapore’s Best Law Firms 2021”.
We have one of the largest teams of specialist family lawyers in Singapore. All senior members of our family law team are Accredited Mediators and Accredited Collaborative Family Practitioners with the Singapore Mediation Centre.
Recently, our family lawyers helped our client to win a “complicated” Court of Appeal case on the division of matrimonial assets. The husband got 75% of S$13.6 million in matrimonial assets, up from 25%. In 2015, our family lawyers also won a Court of Appeal case on the new Singapore law on division of matrimonial assets.
PKWA Law family lawyers are led by Lim Chong Boon, a litigator with more than 30 years of experience and who is named as a Dispute Resolution Star in the annual Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific. The team includes Dorothy Tan, who is ranked as a leading family lawyer by Doyles Guide and who led a team to win a landmark family law case at the Court of Appeal at the age of 25, and Low Jin Liang, recognized as one of the most influential lawyers in Singapore under the age of 40. The other family law specialists are Charlene Nah, Jessica Chow, Sheila Cheng, Tan Rui Fen, Tan Jack Long and Yeow Ing Yee.
Our team of experienced divorce lawyers cover the full range of divorce and family law matters, including simple uncontested divorce and complex, high net worth divorce cases.
.OUR EXPERIENCE & TRACK RECORD
- If your divorce is contested, we offer Fixed Fees Divorce, so that you have peace of mind knowing in advance how much your divorce will cost.
- Our experienced divorce lawyers in Singapore have an excellent track record at getting a favourable settlement at mediation, without the need for a costly full-blown trial.
- Our cases are managed discreetly and are kept low key.
- Our family lawyers are trained Accredited Mediators and Accredited Collaborative Family Practitioners with the Singapore Mediation Centre.
- We adopt a conciliatory and constructive approach to solving divorce cases, rather than a hostile or confrontational one.
How do you get a divorce in Singapore?
You can get a divorce in Singapore if either you or your spouse:
- are a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident of Singapore; or
- have lived in Singapore for at least three years before you apply for a divorce.
Next, you must prove that the marriage has irretrievably broken down. This is the only legal ground for divorce.
There are a few ways of showing that your marriage had irretrievably broken down. The Women’s Charter states that you can prove that your marriage has irretrievably broken down in any of the 5 ways:
- Adultery: The Defendant has committed adultery, and the Plaintiff finds it intolerable to live with the Defendant.
- Unreasonable behaviour: The Defendant has behaved in such a way that the Plaintiff cannot reasonably be expected to live with the Defendant
- Desertion: The Defendant has deserted the Plaintiff for at least 2 years
- Separation: The parties have separated for at least 3 years (and the Defendant consents to the divorce) or 4 years (consent not required).
Read more about How To Get A Divorce In Singapore here.