YOUR LAWYER’S ROLE IN AN UNCONTESTED DIVORCE IN SINGAPORE
PKWA Law’s team of Specialist Divorce Lawyers can help you to reach a divorce settlement on children, assets and maintenance
Uncontested Divorce in Singapore – The Importance of Hiring a Specialist Divorce Lawyer
Affordable Divorce Fees – Uncontested Divorce In Singapore – If you are going through a divorce in Singapore, it makes sense to first see if you can file for an Uncontested Divorce.
In Singapore, the law only requires one spouse to file for the divorce. The other spouse can object to the divorce, but cannot prevent the divorce from being filed. It therefore makes sense to co-operate with each other to go for a ‘friendly, uncontested’ divorce instead of slugging it out in court.
In a Simplified Uncontested divorce, you and your spouse decide on all the divorce issues. The outcome is known before you even file for divorce, taking out a lot of the stress from the divorce process.
Importance of having a specialist divorce lawyer if you have children and properties to be divided
Even when parties are going for an Uncontested Divorce, they will hire a specialist divorce lawyer. Here are some reasons why:
- In an Uncontested Divorce, your lawyer’s role is crucial, especially where there are children issues and there is a matrimonial home which is your most substantial asset. Questions as to what should happen to the matrimonial home, what are HDB rules on sale or retention of a HDB flat, how other assets should be divided and how much maintenance is payable to the wife and the children are all important questions that you can get help if you engage a specialist divorce lawyer.
- The costs of a specialist divorce lawyer for an uncontested divorce is very affordable – at PKWA Law, our fees are fixed at $2,200 all in if you have children, property and maintenance issues. Our clients therefore use PKWA Law to ensure that their children and property issues are done properly and all issues are covered.
- Your lawyer will advise you on what you are entitled to, your obligations and help you to reach a fair agreement with your spouse. Your divorce lawyer also drafts all the necessary divorce paper work to accurately capture what you and your spouse have agreed upon.
- Do not file an Uncontested Divorce if you do not have a lawyer. We have come across clients who did not get proper legal advice. They end up spending more time and money to try to vary the divorce order. This can be avoided if you get your divorce order right from the start.
- The key to achieving an agreement so that the divorce proceeds on an uncontested basis is to hire a good specialist divorce lawyer first to understand what you can get. It is pointless to argue and negotiate with your spouse over something that the court will never give you in the first place. Once you and your spouse understand your respective rights, what each of you can get and cannot get, the negotiating process becomes easy. It is therefore essential to know your rights and entitlement before you negotiate.
- Therefore, even in an uncontested divorce, it is critical to hire a good divorce law specialist since your settlement may involve children and properties and assets worth substantial sums of money.
What do we need to agree on?
Your lawyer will help you to reach an agreement on the following:
a. the reason for the divorce.
b. who is to have care and control of the children and the level of access or visitation rights the other parent has.
c. how to divide your property and debts.
d. how much wife and children maintenance is to be given.
Hire an experienced specialist divorce lawyer
Your lawyer will draft the paperwork. There are many different types of clauses and your lawyer will draft the divorce order according to what you tell him.
Make sure you get an experienced lawyer who specialises in divorce law.
Even if your divorce is amicable and uncontested, it is critical to hire a good divorce law specialist since your settlement may involve properties and assets worth substantial sums of money.
At PKWA Law, for an uncontested divorce in Singapore, we usually can obtain the Interim Judgment within 4 weeks of filing the uncontested divorce papers.
Simplified Divorce – How much will the divorce cost me?
At PKWA Law, our fees for an uncontested divorce are one of the most affordable packages in Singapore.
.UNCONTESTED DIVORCE FIXED FEE PACKAGES
- $1,200 all in (no children, no house and no maintenance)
- $2,200 all in (with children, HDB / private property and maintenance).
*Our fees are subject to GST.
If a Simplified Uncontested divorce cannot be agreed, then you have to file for a contested divorce. In a contested divorce in Singapore, the Family Court will decide on the outcome for you.
ABOUT PKWA LAW
At PKWA Law, our team of Family Lawyers are consistently named as leading Singapore divorce lawyers by respected independent legal publications such as Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific, Asian Legal Business, Singapore Business Review, Global Law Experts and Doyle’s Guide to Singapore Family Lawyers.
Keen to discuss more? Please contact us at 6854-5336 for a free first consultation.