Dorothy Tan is a Senior Associate Director in PKWA Law, and is also the Deputy Head of the Family Law Department.
Achievements & Highlights
- In 2015, Dorothy became one of the youngest lawyers at age 25 to lead a team and to successfully argue at the highest court in Singapore, the Court of Appeal. The case of Twiss, Christopher James Hans v Twiss, Yvonne Prendergast  SGCA 52 has become a landmark case and has been cited in family law cases.
Dorothy’s client wrote an open testimonial in appreciation of Dorothy’s skills, dedication and hard work, which can be found here.
Dorothy’s Court of Appeal case has been subsequently cited and followed by the Singapore Courts in such cases as Zhou Lijie v Wang Chengxiang  SGHC 316; TIG v TIH  SGHCF 12; TME v TMF  SGHCF 6 ; THL v THM  SGHCF 11 ; TNL v TNK  SGCA 15 and UBD v UBE  SGHCF 14.
- Dorothy was shortlisted for “Woman Lawyer of the Year” by Asian Legal Business at the SE Asia Law Awards 2018. She was selected by an independent panel of 30 legal experts and is the only family lawyer in the shortlist.
- Dorothy was nominated for “Young Lawyer of the Year” by Asian Legal Business at the SE Asia Law Awards 2017. She was selected by an independent judging panel of 30 legal experts.
- For 3 straight years, Dorothy is also ranked by her peers as a Leading Family and Divorce Lawyer in Doyles Guide of Leading Singapore Family and Divorce Lawyers in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- Singapore Mediation Centre Accredited Mediator.
- Singapore Mediation Centre Accredited Collaborative Family Practitioner (CFP).
- Appointed to Singapore Mediation Centre’s Panel of Collaborative Family Practitioners (CFP)
Passionate about Family Law
Since being called to the Bar, Dorothy has quickly developed a reputation as a tireless and passionate female divorce lawyer. She has extensive experience in all aspects of family and divorce law. She has acted as lead counsel for clients in all areas of matrimonial law such as contentious divorces, division of matrimonial assets, disputes over child custody, maintenance for wives and children, and family violence.
Dorothy has been interviewed by the press for her views on family law issues. She continues to receive exceptional client feedback. Dorothy has proven to be a passionate, confident and articulate individual who works tirelessly to advance her clients’ interests.
Dorothy is a contributor/author for Lexis Practical Guidance – Family Law Module.
..WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
“In my hour of need, I was recommended to PKWA. Dorothy Tan LISTENED to my case and worked tirelessly over the holidays and weekends to meet impossible deadlines. A very upsetting and stressful time but I will be forever grateful as Dorothy believed in my case and sought a fair and just resolution against insurmountable odds. At every juncture, Dorothy provided realistic, honest assessments and I proceeded based on her recommendations. If Dorothy and her team decide to champion your cause, you should consider yourself very fortunate.” – Christopher Twiss.
“Dorothy, a big thank you for all the support, guidance and recommendations you have given me. Your judgements and ability to steer the various proceedings were absolutely critical. I was able to give you my full trust. You have certainly made a lasting impact, one which I will not forget. Thank you.” – AJ.
“I chanced upon PKWA LAW after I had dried my tears. They seem to know their stuff well. We met about 4 times. Mr Lim and Ms Dorothy took the time to listen and assured me it can be done.
We started everything all over again. Within 3 months, I got what that was deemed impossible! Knowing that with the order I can now proceed to the next step comforts us tremendously.
Thank you! Your team made a difference in our lives.” – Ning
“I would like to express my heartfelt thanks and gratitude for your patience, your timely and sound advice during this very difficult period.” – A
“Looking back, I think the route/strategy that we chose was the correct one. Thank you for that.” – E
“Thank you so much for your effort and assistance in handling my case. I recognise it has been a long, arduous few years, and I sincerely appreciate your tenacity and professionalism in the process of dealing with an irrational adversary.” – MN
“All of you show me that genuine great lawyers exist. Many more people out there who deserve justice ought to know you.” – Ms K
I wanted to express my gratitude for your efforts and dedication to my case. I am grateful to you that you took all the stress and restored everything out for me. Your faith, knowledge and determination were something that solves my worries.” – ZT