Mr Lim Chong Boon is Head of Family Law at PKWA Law, one of the largest Specialist Family Law Practice in Singapore. He is a Singapore family and divorce lawyer with more than 25 years’ experience.
Chong Boon is ranked as a Leading Family and Divorce Lawyer in Singapore by Doyles Guide in 2016 and 2017.
Chong Boon is recommended by Global Law Experts 2015 edition as someone who “is valued by clients in civil and family law matters for his knowledge and experience in the law” and for being “practical and street wise”.
In the area of divorce law, he is recognised as “a good listener”, able to “cut through the issues quickly”. He is known “to favour mediation over litigation in divorce matters, but will litigate aggressively in court”.
Chong Boon started his practice at Allen & Gledhill, where he had the privilege of working directly under some of Singapore’s best lawyers.
He now has more than 25 years of experience in the Singapore courts. Chong Boon’s areas of practice include family and divorce law, probate, commercial litigation, company law, construction litigation, corporate debt recovery, directors and shareholders’ disputes, employment law, intellectual property, immigration matters, insolvency, landlord and tenant disputes, and property disputes.
He has been involved in several high profile cases involving very substantial claims.
Singapore Family Lawyer | Singapore Divorce Lawyer
As Head of Family Law at PKWA Law, Chong Boon and his team have won numerous accolades, namely:
- Recognised as one of the best family divorce law firms by Asian Legal Business at the prestigious ALB Southeast Asia Law Awards in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- Global Law Experts 2015 Edition — Lim Chong Boon is a recommended Family and Civil lawyer.
- ACQ Law Awards 2014 — Lim Chong Boon and PKWA Law are recommended in “Family Law.”
- Doyles Guide For Singapore Family & Divorce Law 2015 — PKWA Law is a recommended divorce law firm.
- Acquisition International 2015 Legal Awards — PKWA is awarded “Best Family Law Firm and Recognised Leader in Divorce Law – Singapore.”
- 2016 Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award: PKWA is awarded “Family Law Firm of the Year in Singapore 2016”
- Chong Boon is ranked by his peers as a Leading Family and Divorce Lawyer in Doyles Guide of Leading Singapore Family and Divorce Lawyers 2016 and again in 2017.
- PKWA is ranked as a Leading Family and Divorce Law Firm in Doyles Guide of Leading Singapore Family and Divorce Law Firm in 2016 and again in 2017.
- ACQ Global Award 2016 – PKWA LAW is awarded “Family Law Firm of the Year 2016.”
Family Law Cases
- Successfully represented the mother in a bitter custody battle over her 2 children. The High Court awarded our client care and control and ordered the father to hand over the children within 7 days or face contempt action. The case took 3 years and involved over 2,000 pages of court documents.
- represented a prominent and wealthy Singapore businessman in his divorce proceedings and ancillary issues.
- acted for a prominent senior Singapore lawyer in a highly contentious divorce matter, division of assets and custody of the children.
- represented the CEO of a listed company in his divorce proceedings and ancillaries.
- acted for a wife to recover half of the ex-husband’s lottery win.
- represents high net worth clients in pre-nuptial agreements.
Chong Boon has been interviewed by the media for his views on family law including:
- acting in a protracted and highly complex litigation in the Singapore High Court of one of the largest corporate bond defaults in emerging markets history. The claim was worth US$300 million and involved legal experts from the US and Indonesia, and decisions involving the Supreme Court of the State of New York and the Supreme Court of Indonesia. The case was eventually settled after several years of complex and difficult litigation and negotiations.
- advising the leading global operator of water services in employment matters and general corporate advice for its Asia Pacific office.
- acting for a government statutory board to obtain urgent interlocutory injunctions againts occupiers for causing nuisance and breach of contract.
- acting for a government statutory board in property disputes and to obtain possession of property from errant tenants.
- acting for all 8 defendants to successfully defend a US$27 million multi cause of action claim for breach of contract, breach of agency and conspiracy to defraud. The matter reached the Court of Appeal which upheld Chong Boon’s arguments.
- successfully acting for one of the largest property agency companies in Singapore in an action against some of its former employees and agents for poaching its staff and for breach of contract.
- defending former students in a defamation suit brought by a well- known options trading trainer. The case was settled amicably.
- acting for a US listed MNC in litigation over the construction of a wafer fab plant in Singapore. The case was resolved.
- acting for one of the Big Three local banks in the recovery of credit card and housing loans.
- acting for the Nominee in the successful seeking of bankruptcy protection under the Bankruptcy Act for two directors of a Singapore listed company. This allowed the directors to resolve and restructure their personal liabilities of about $51 million arising out of corporate guarantees they had executed in connection with the debts of the company.
- advising one of the world’s largest and most prestigious hotel operators in a claim estimated at $200 million arising out of a 5 star hotel. Chong Boon instructed Senior Counsel. The claims against the defendant (one of the largest property companies in South East Asia) and against the insurer (one of the largest in the world) were resolved at mediation.
- acting in the Singapore High Court in litigation with an international construction and engineering company over the construction of a plant in Astana. The case was one of the first in Singapore to involve electronic discovery of documents stored in servers. The claim was settled out of court.
Some of Chong Boon’s reported cases include Fornet Enterprise Co Ltd vs Howell Universal Pte Ltd & others  2 SLR 349;  SGHC 33 and OCM Opportunities Fund II, LP and others vs PT Indah Kiat Pulp and Paper Corporation  SGHC 73.
Chong Boon is a contributor / author for Lexis Practical Guidance – Family Law Module.
Co-author of “The latest Singapore law on division of matrimonial assets.”